Needless to say, a house construction project will cost you money. Building your dream home from scratch or renovating an existing structure will require proper planning and knowing where to get your resources from. If you live in the Chicago area, getting a home contractor Chicago company that respects your dream house’s needs when it comes to functionality, aesthetics and financial aspects make building it more meaningful and valuable to you. Of course, it will also help you save more money in the process. Here are some of the ways that can help you save money while building your dream home.
* Get at least three estimates. It may be time-consuming to shop around for contractors and ask for estimates, but it is also rewarding to know you’ve struck the best possible deal. If you’re serious about saving more money, spare the time comparing cost of jobs and supplies before you give the OK to your chosen contractor. In many instances, rushing only proves to be an expensive mistake and one you wouldn’t want to learn the hard way.
* Source your own materials. Your contractor may have their own suppliers, but you can save more money if you can find your own materials. For instance, a family member or a friend who runs a construction supplies store is willing to give you huge discounts for bulk orders. Most home contractor Chicago companies are willing to work with materials coming outside their own suppliers, so take advantage of discounts and deals whenever you can.
* Get on top of the construction schedule. Even if you have an engineer, architect, foreman and construction workers on site, you are still the boss in the project. It is only reasonable and rightful if you ask for the work schedule and check it from time to time to see if everything is going as planned. Communication is vital in the building process and it should begin before the project starts. It should be clear to you and your contractor what the expectations are. Communication also eliminates wrong assumptions which can also incur unnecessary costs in the future.
* Know what aspects of the construction that you can DIY. This tip is useful if you’re quite handy with the tools and materials in construction. You can opt to paint the walls yourself after the contractors placed the primer. This way, you are able to save labor costs incurred by your contractors’ hourly rate. However, if you’re doubtful of your skills, then it is best to leave the job to the home contractor Chicago company you’ve chosen, or else, you might have to re-hire them anyway to correct the flaws you’ve done yourself.
* Purchase eco-friendly furniture and appliances. After building your home, now comes the decision to purchase the contents inside it. Going green is a widespread advocacy that encourages people to opt for energy-efficiency and sustainability. You can opt for star-rated appliances that help you save a couple of dollars from your electric bill. Water-efficient fixtures in the bathrooms are also wonderful considerations. You can also go for eco-friendly cabinets and furniture in many areas inside the house.
Building a house and saving money while doing so is a simultaneous process, so it is important to be critical and conscious of every decision you make. Your home contractor Chicago company should be open about these decisions, and be able to accommodate your desire to have the home of your dreams without the unnecessary spending.